Random Acts of Kindness Day is a time when everyone around the world is encouraged to do something nice for a friend, co-worker, family member, or even a stranger. Random acts vary from person to person and can be as simple as buying someone a cup of coffee. Random Acts of Kindness Day is celebrated annually on February 17; however, many celebrate all week long by performing random acts at work, home, and running errands.
Complete the Compliment Challenge
Set a goal to compliment as many people as possible. Sincere compliments include commenting on a person's outfit, shoes, smile, hair, or something they have created. Wake up in the morning and compliment the first three people you encounter. Next, send a text message to five different people, congratulating them on something they recently achieved. Don't stop with these eight people; seek out different ways to compliment others throughout the day.
Volunteer at an Animal Shelter
Feel good by spending time with animals at a local animal shelter. Many humane societies and shelters offer volunteer opportunities, such as reading to the animals, cleaning up kennels, walking dogs, playing with the animals, and bathing animals. Reach out to your local shelter and inquire about volunteer opportunities and various ways to help shelter animals in the community.
Residents in the Kansas City Metro area can volunteer through the Pet Resource Center of Kansas City. This organization helps provide pet food for those who cannot afford to feed their furbabies. Volunteer opportunities include help preparing pet food and delivering food.
Volunteer at a Local Food Bank or Soup Kitchen
Many families are struggling to put food on the table. Some family members need to skip meals during the day to ensure the rest of the family can have dinner. Volunteer your time to help out a local food bank or soup kitchen and help feed those struggling in the community. No time to volunteer? You can still do a random act of kindness by donating food or money to a local organization.
Give your time, give some food, or give money to Harvesters Community Food Network in Kansas City.
Donate to Local Homeless Shelters
Clean out your closets and donate some blankets and clothes to local homeless shelters. Some homeless shelters need volunteers to help with programs, organization, office work, and to be there to talk with those wanting to speak to someone.
Host a Clean Up Party at a Local Park
Gather up friends, family, and co-workers and spend the day at a local park cleaning it up. Pick a time and spend it walking around the park, picking up trash. Don't forget to wear gloves and bring lots of trash bags.
Those of you who are crafty now is your time to shine. Create and design fun and inspirational cards to deliver to local senior centers/facilities, veterans' hospitals, and children's hospitals. Send some love and show others they are appreciated and loved.
Reach out to the Red Cross, local hospital, or community blood bank and ask where to go to donate blood. The place to donate blood here in Kansas City is the Community Blood Center, located at 4040 Main Street (64111). For additional information about how and where to donate blood, call (877) 468-6844.
Little Free Library
Find a Little Free Library in your neighborhood and drop off some children's books to add to the collection. Don't have a Little Free Library in your area? No problem. Click here for details on how to set up your own Little Free Library for the kids in your neighborhood.
We get so busy sometimes and forget to take time for ourselves. For Random Acts of Kindness Day, you not only want to be kind to others but don't forget about yourself. Spend at least 30 minutes, focusing on doing something you love. Take the time to meditate, make some crafts, read a book, go hiking, get a massage, or spend time with friends. Are you having trouble determining what you love to do? Take a moment to remind yourself of all the things you love and write a gratitude list. Then focus on something on that list that makes you truly happy.
20 More Random Acts of Kindness
- Post inspirational notes everywhere – offices, bathrooms, bulletin boards, apartment complexes, etc.
- Say "Hello" to a perfect stranger. Don't forget to smile.
- Apartment living can be difficult for some stuck at home. Surprise your neighbor with homemade cookies or special delivery.
- Leave a gas gift card at a pump.
- Leave quarters at the laundromat.
- Leave coupons next to products in the store.
- Send an email to a co-worker who deserves more recognition.
- Hold up motivational signs for people running in the park.
- Buy a plant, write a positive message on the pot, and give it to a friend.
- Deliver flowers to the nurses' station at the nearest emergency room.
- Run an errand for someone.
- Leave a box of goodies for mail carriers and delivery drivers.
- Pass out balloons with handwritten notes with positive messages.
- Get a haircut and donate to Locks of Love.
- Write a "Thank You" letter to a deployed member of the military through Operation Gratitude.
- Reconnect with an old friend.
- Email or write someone who inspired you.
- Leave an extra tip for servers, delivery drivers, etc.
- Donate school supplies to a local public school.
- Leave inspirational bookmarks in library books.